Director Felix Van Groeningen, who earned widespread critical acclaim for his 2009 film, The Misfortunates, will see his next project hit theaters next month. The Broken Circle Breakdown, based on the play by Johan Heldenbergh and Mieke Dobbels, is billed as a love story set against the backdrop of romance within a bluegrass band.
The two primary characters in this dark drama share a passion for each other, and for American music. Didier (Johan Heldenbergh) plays banjo in a bluegrass group, and Elise (Veerle Baetens) runs her own tattoo parlor. She sings with the band, and the pair falls hard for each other, a romance that is followed both on and off the stage. Things runs smoothly for these two, until a tragedy tears them apart.
The Broken Circle Breakdown is in Dutch, with English sub-titles as you can see in the trailer. It contains a flash of nudity and some profanity, so don’t watch if you are likely to be offended.
It has been quite popular in Europe, where it has been in theaters for some time. The soundtrack album has also sold well, as did a concert tour featuring the musicians in the movie.
The film will be screened in the US next week as part of the ongoing Gathr Preview series, which brings titles that may not receive wide distribution in this country to art house film fans in a number of cities.
- Tallahassee, FL – All Saints Theater (10/1) 7:00 p.m.
- Eugene, OR – Bijou Metro (10/3) 7:30 p.m.
- Providence, RI – Cable Car Cinema & Café (10/1) 7:00 p.m.
- Portland, OR – Clinton Street Theater (9/30) 7:00 p.m.
- Kansas City, KS – Fine Arts Theater (10/3) 7:30 p.m.
- Pittsburgh, PA – Hollywood Theater (9/30) 7:30 p.m.
- Bloomfield, MI – Maple Theater (10/1) 7:30 p.m.
- Little Rock, AR – Market Street Cinema (9/30) 7:00 p.m.
- Bellingham, WA – Pickford Film Center (9/30) 7:30 p.m.
- Mobile, AL – Saenger Theater (10/3) 6:30 p.m.
- Columbus, IN – Yes! Theater (10/3) 7:00 p.m.
- New Orleans, LA – Zeitgeist Theater (9/30) 7:30 p.m.
- St. Petersburg, FL – Baywalk 20 (10/1) 7:30 p.m.
Broken Circle Breakdown opens in limited US release in November and December, primarily in larger cities. The rest of us may have to wait for a DVD or Netflix release to check it out.