Once again PopMatters, the webzine of popular culture, has included bluegrass in their lists of the Best Music of 2010. And as you might expect from a more mainstream publication, their picks are heavy on the edgier, contemporary side of bluegrass.
Steve Leftridge, who writes the PM country music column, chose Things That Fly from The Infamous Stringdusters as his #1 pick, with more traditional favorites like Lonesome River Band and Dailey & Vincent making his list as well.
Here’s how they are rated, top to bottom:
- 10 – Dierks Bentley, Up On The Ridge
- 9 – Randy Kohrs, Quicksand
- 8 – Lonesome River Band, Still Learning
- 7 – Punch Brothers, Antifogmatic
- 6 – Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band, Legacy
- 5 – Chatham County Line, Wildwood
- 4 – The Grascals, Famous Lefty Flynn’s
- 3 – Dailey & Vincent, Dailey & Vincent Sing The Statler Brothers
- 2 – The Steeldrivers, Reckless
- 1 – The Infamous Stringdusters, Things That Fly
The piece at PopMatters includes thumbnail reviews of each project, plus video and purchase links if you are in the giving (or buying) mood.