Alt-grass hero Keller Williams and the Travelin’ McCourys have teamed up for a new album and a series of live shows this summer.
Williams is well known to to grassers on the edge for his collaborations with such icons as String Cheese Incident and Yonder Mountain String Band, while the Travelin’ McCourys are familiar to more traditional-minded bluegrass fans as The Del McCoury Band minus Del.
Their new record is called Pick, and it is scheduled for a July 3 release on SCI Fidelity Records. It features 12 tracks consisting of Williams and band originals, with a few covers, and a guest appearance by Del himself on the final song.
Williams says that working with this bunch has been a wonderful experience.
“I can hardly believe what a blast this collaboration has been so far. To be in the presence of The Travelin’ McCourys is to be in the presence of greatness.
Sometimes you’ll catch us trying not to smile when we play, just to make sure that at least some of the time the music takes precedence over the joy of playing it!”
Here’s a video of them together shot last month in Denver.
Dates announced so far include:
- May 26 – DelFest – Cumberland, MD
- June 1 – Mountain – Jam Hunter, NY
- June 2 – Wakarusa – Ozark, AR
- June 28 – Electric Forest – Rothbury, MI
- July 3 – Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua – Washburn, WI
- July 6 – Deadwood Mountain Grand – Deadwood, SD
- August 17 – The River Roots Live Music Festival – Davenport, IA
- September 14 – Jomeokee Arts and Music Festival – Pinnacle, NC
More details about this collaboration can be found online at www.kellermccoury.com.