We just received a note from the guys over at Fretboard Journal to let us know that the November 2006 issue, their fourth – it’s a quarterly publication, will begin mailing to subscribers and stores later this week. The cover story this issue is a lengthy tribute piece to John Hartford. I spoke with Jason at IBMA last month and he gave me a little teaser then, about this story. They’ve managed to find some very rare photographs that have never been published before, many of which were taken by legendary photographer Jim McGuire. The story also features quotes from John’s son Jamie Hartford, as well as David Bromberg and others.
In addition to the cover story, this issue also contains:
- An in-depth interview with jazz guitarist Bill Frisell conducted by sometimes collaborator (and banjo player extraordinaire) Danny Barnes
- An interview with mandolinist Radim Zenkl on the Czech "tramp" scene, the early help he got from Grisman, his playing technique and more
- An interview with R&B guitar legend Steve Cropper on his early days at Stax Records, including all-new photographs
- A visit to some of Minnesota’s finest guitar builders, including Charles Hoffman, Jim Olson, Michael Keller and Brian Applegate
- A huge photo essay of the PRS Guitars factory, a tale of playing the banjo on the Gong Show and a whole lot more.
You can find more details and subscribe on the Fretboard Journal website.
If you’ve already subscribed, check your mailbox. Otherwise you can find it at your favorite guitar dealer, at finer music stores, Borders, Barnes & Noble and select newsstands throughout the U.S.