It seems everyone has a list of their favorite albums from 2009. It was a good year for bluegrass recordings. PopMatters, which bills itself as “an international magazine of cultural criticism” published their top 10 list, and it’s not bad. Often when you find a top 10 bluegrass list in a culture magazine that knows little about bluegrass, the list is really not that reflective of the response you get if you polled the bluegrass community. In this case, we feel they did a respectable job of compiling their list.
The list includes a short write up of each record, an audio widget allowing you to listen to full length streams of every song on each album (and to purchase what you hear if you like it), and a music video when available.
- One More for the Road – Adam Steffey
- Circles Around Me – Sam Bush
- Ring the Bell – Gibson Brothers
- Whatcha Gonna Do – Claire Lynch
- Songs My Dad Loved – Ricky Skaggs
- Almost Live – Bryan Sutton and Friends
- Mountain Soul II – Patty Loveless
- The Crow – Steve Martin
- Deep in the Shade – Steep Canyon Rangers
- Brothers from Different Mothers – Dailey and Vincent
What do you think? Is there a record that should have made it to the top 10 for 2009. Let us know in the comments.