Wednesday night at IBMA, we spent an hour or so at a special Rural Rhythm Records showcase, held to highlight a number of their top acts, and to announce a major initiative for 2010. Next year, they will celebrate 55 years in business recording bluegrass, Gospel and traditional American Music and will join with the Graves Mountain Festival of Music in Syria, VA for a one-of-a-kind, all day event.
We were treated to performances by Carrie Hassler & Hard Rain and Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out, and had just missed a set from Audie Blaylock & Redline, who had turned in a brilliant show the night before on the main stage. Michael Martin Murphey made a special appearance with Carrie Hassler, where they sang a duet on his biggest hit, Wildfire, which the pair has recently re-recorded for Murphey’s second project with Rural Rhythm, due in February of next year.
All this music, however, was leading up to the announcement of Rural Rhythm and Graves Mountain collaborating for the festival in June. Six Rural Rhythm artists will appear on Friday, June 4, and the entire day will be given over to a 55th birthday party or the label. Kyle Cantrell of Sirius-XM will serve as emcee, with performances from The Crowe Brothers, Carrie Hassler & Hard Rain, Audie Blaylock & Redline, Lou Reid and Carolina, Lonesome River Band and Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out.
All of the day’s music will be recorded for a commemorative CD to be released later in 2010. Many of these artists will combine for special sets.
- Crowe Brothers with Russell Moore, Sammy Shelor
- Carrie Hassler & Hard and Brandon Rickman
- Audie Blaylock & Redline, Carrie Hassler, Russell Moore, and Lou Reid
- Graves Moutain Jam and Rural Rhythm all-star tribute featuring Grave Mountain Memories: Carl Jackson, Mark Newton, Russell Newton, Lou Reid, Carrie Hassler, Andy Ball, Sammy Shelor, Mike Anglin, Justin Haynes
- My Home’s Across the Blue Ridge Mountains – Brandon Rickman, Crowe Brothers, Audie Blaylock, Mike Hartgrove, Wayne Benson, Steve Dilling, Edgar Loudermilk
- Instrumental Jam featuring many of the Rural Rhythm artists
You can find ticket and schedule information for the Graves Mountain festival on their web site. We’ll post with more details about the live CD as they emerge.