Compass Records has announced the signing of Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley for the release of their upcoming album, Before The Sun Goes Down. It’s a project that mixes bluegrass and traditional country music with an all-star band behind them.
Rob says that he was deeply impressed by Trey the first time he heard him sing…
“Last year, when we were working on the latest Blue Highway album, The Game, we needed a scratch vocal done on one song so we could play live without having to go back and replace the vocal. The studio owner said he knew a kid nearby who was a great singer and could do it on short notice. So he called Trey in and he proceeded to sing the hell out of My Last Day in the Mines, a song he’d never even heard before! And the way he sang it was so perfect that we couldn’t imagine replacing it or changing anything about it, so his ‘scratch’ vocal quickly became a ‘guest’ vocal.
Later, I saw some YouTube footage of him playing electric guitar and it was obvious he was as strong on guitar as he was on singing. So I told Trey that if there was ever anything I could do to help him in his career, I’d be happy to do it, and soon after, he and his wife moved to Nashville and we started playing the Station Inn on a regular basis.”
And the next thing you know, they have an album ready for release in January of 2015, and an agreement with Compass.
Rob and Trey also have a west coast tour planned for December.
- 12/4/14 – Royal Room – Seattle, WA
- 12/5/14 – Green Frog – Bellingham, WA
- 12/6/14 – Treehouse – Leavenworth, CA
- 12/7/14 – Little River Inn – Little River, CA
- 12/9/14 – Tallman Hotel – Upper Lake, CA
- 12/10/14 – TBA, Redding, CA
- 12/11/14 – Don Quixote’s – Felton, CA
- 12/12/14 – Boulevard Music – Culver City, CA
- 12/13/14 – Powerhouse – Del Mar, CA
- 12/14/14 – TBA, Sonora, CA