Held this past weekend was the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS, host of the 41st running of the National Flatpicking Championship.
The festival is much more than a contest, though, with multiple stages of entertainment running simultaneously with full bands, solo and duo acts, and of course, the competitions. In addition to the prestigious Flatpicking Championship, Walnut Valley awards prizes in several other categories.
This year’s full results are not yet posted online, but here is what we have so far.
2012 National Flatpicking Championship
- Roy Curry - Chattanooga, TN
- Allen Shadd - Lake Wylie, SC
- Adam Wright - Goodlettsville, TN
2012 Old Time Fiddle Championship
- Andrew Wilson - Spokane Valley, WA
- Roger Netherton - St. Louis, MO
- Hannah Farnum - Galena, MO
2012 National Mandolin Championship
- Jacob Joliff - Newberg, OR
- Andrew Hatfield - Peoria, IL
- Gordon Neidinger - Pittsburgh, PA
2012 National Banjo Championship
- Gary Davis – Knoxville, TN
- Kyle Tuttle – Nashville, TN
- William Cockman - Sherrills Ford, NC
2012 Fingerstyle Championship
- Adam Gardino - Colorado Springs, CO
- Shuhei Nishino - Kitakyashu, Japan
- Maxwell Hughes - Ft Collins, CO
The winners had their choice (by order of finish) of instruments from Taylor, Triggs, Larrivee, Ome, Deering, Weber, Clark, Collings and Wilcox.
Latest posts by John Lawless (see all)
- The Guitar Player’s Guide to Developing Creative Solos - August 22, 2014
- Blue Is Falling video from Hot Rize - August 22, 2014
- Far Western to document Japanese bluegrass - August 22, 2014
Category: Bluegrass festival/concert news
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.