It will be designated as the Blueridge BR-3060, and styled after Larry’s legendary early 1950’s D-28, including the distinctive double pickguard.
Specifications for the BR-3060:
- Select solid Sitka spruce top
- White body binding – with characteristic W/B/W purfling
- Select solid East Indian rosewood back and sides
- Select mahogany neck with ebony fingerboard and mother of pearl position markers
- Ebony Bridge with mother of pearl dots and maple bridge plate
- Bone nut and Saddle
- Characteristic single-ply double pickguard
- Vintage-style, nickel-plated round button tuners
- Larry’s signature on the peghead
- A signed and numbered certificate of authenticity and soundhole label
Blueridge is a subsidiary of Saga Musical Instruments, and the Larry Sparks BR-3060 will be available from any the many Saga dealers starting in February ’09. There is no information yet on the Blueridge web site about this guitar, but David Gartland with Saga gave us a rundown on how it came to be…
“Being huge fans of Larry’s and thankful for his valuable contribution to the Stanley Brothers and Bluegrass music, we felt it only natural to pay tribute to our own personal hero and this Bluegrass legend. As you may already know, we had already set a precedent for creating special guitars, notably the BR-1060P Carter Stanley Memorial Blueridge Guitar, and we thought that recreating Larry’s unmistakable guitar was the perfect next step. Truly an honor for us.
An integral part of the process has been our ability to work hand in hand with Mr. Sparks to produce a guitar that will stand up to his unique style of play and remain true to his original instrument.
Our primary objective for Larry and the Saga team was to maintain the highest level of quality using only the best materials; while at the same time trying to making it more affordable.
It is a truly an amazing instrument.”
The suggested retail price for the BR-3060 will be $1395.