Like any modern awards show, IBMA hands out a number of the trophies earlier in the day, prior to the gala production scheduled for later this evening. These include both awards in more arcane, industry-oriented categories (liner notes, graphic design, broadcaster).
Not that these awards aren’t important; in fact, IBMA describes them as Special Awards. Bluegrass Today was honored to accept one in 2007 for Print Media. I know…
Our fried and fellow bluegrass blogger Ted Lehmann has a fine photo essay on today’s Special Awards ceremonies on his site.
Ted lists the winners as follows:
- Print Media – Eddie Dean and Dr. Ralph Stanley for Man Of Constant Sorrow
- Liner Notes – Dr. Ted Olson for Appalachia Music Of Home
- Broadcaster – Kyle Cantrell of Sirius-XM
- Event – Roger Moss and the 14th annual Podunk Bluegrass Festival
- Graphic Design – Julia Craig for Dailey & Vincent Sing The Statler Brothers
Unlike the artist awards, these Special Awards are chosen by a committee selected by the IBMA Board, and are not decided by the votes of the professional membership.
A number of special, lifetime achievement awards were also announced this afternoon, and presented to Pete Wernick, Tex Logan, Lynn Morris and Richard Weize (Bear Family Records).
Be sure to visit Ted’s blog to see all his fine photos from the Special Awards festivities.