It’s a quirky, 1930s period piece set in the rural south, anchored by a proven Hollywood star. The soundtrack features music from Alison Krauss, and popular bluegrass musicians (The Steeldrivers) appear in the film. Sound familiar?
The movie stars Robert Duvall, Bill Murray, Sissy Spacek and Lucas Black in a true story about Felix “Bush” Breazeale, a rough-hewn Tennessee recluse who threw a funeral party for himself before his death that drew more than ten thousand mourners in June of 1938.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17Me8uL6mA
The score for Get Low was written by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek and Jerry Douglas, with incidental music from Krauss, The Steeldrivers and more. In addition to new tracks from those popular bluegrass/acoustic artists, there are classic cuts from The Ink Spots, Bix Biederbecke and Paul Whiteman.
Here’s a track list:
- Lay My Burden Down – Alison Krauss
- If I Didn’t Care – The Ink Spots
- Jesus Come For Me – The SteelDrivers
- Sitting Mule/Drive to Town – Score – Jerry Douglas
- Drive to Town for Clothes – Score – Jerry Douglas and Stuart Duncan
- No Haircut – Score – Jerry Douglas
- Farewell Blues – Paul Whiteman
- Monkey Bay – Jerry Douglas, Edgar Meyer & Russ Barenberg
- Whiskey Before Breakfast – The SteelDrivers
- East Virginia Fast – The SteelDrivers
- North – Score – Jerry Douglas
- Bush Shows Maddie Around – Score
- Angelina Baker – The SteelDrivers
- The Mystery of Felix – Score
- I’m Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover – Bix Beiderbecke (aka Billy Murray & Jean Goldkette Orchestra)
- My Blue Heaven – Gene Austin
You can hear audio samples on the Rounder web site.