The 27th annual International Country Music Conference is scheduled for later this week in Nashville. This annual event, hwld on the campus of Belmont University, brings together scholars and academics who make country music their field of study.
Noted bluegrass historian Neil Rosenberg points out the fact that this year’s conference has a special focus on bluegrass music and the people who play it.
Thursday afternoon 27 May 2010: Bluegrass Tour Du Force Panel:
- Bill Brown and Mike Fleming, “North Georgia Bluegrass Pioneer Robert A. “Tut” Taylor.”
- Joti Rockwell, “Gestural Translation and Innovation in Bluegrass Fiddle Tunes.”
- David Johnson, “Issues of Methodology and Analysis in Celebrity Autobiography and Academic Biography: Focus on Ralph Stanley.”
- Richard Stern, “Bluegrass Gospel: The Music of Exiles.”
- Lance Kinney, “William Smith Monroe: W.J. Cash’s Prototypical Southern ‘Man At The Center.'”
Thursday evening 27 May: Keynote address by Ken Irwin and Marian Levy of Rounder Records.
Friday 28 May: Charles K. Wolfe Memorial Panel, focusing on Dr. Neil Rosenberg’s “Bluegrass: A History”:
Erika Brady, moderator; Murphy Henry, Kevin Kehrberg, Neil Rosenberg and David Royko, panelists.
Full details on the conference can be found online.