From October 1, 2010 through to the end of September 2011, we will, each day, celebrate the life of Bill Monroe by sharing information about him and those people who are associated with his life and music career. This information will include births and deaths; recording sessions; single, LP and CD release dates; and other interesting tidbits. Richard F. Thompson is responsible for the research and compilation of this information. We invite readers to share any tidbits, photos or memories you would like us to include.
- September 2, 1923 Yates Green was born. *
- September 2, 1927 Donald Ray ‘Suds’ Slayman was born in Big Pool, Maryland. **
- September 2, 1973 The album Father & Son by Bill and James Monroe was voted the Album of the Year by the readers of Muleskinner News magazine. For the second year on the run, Bill Monroe was named the Best Mandolin Player by the same magazine’s readers.
- September 2, 1977 Butch Robins began his second stint as a Blue Grass Boy. ***
* Green played the guitar for Bill Monroe for a few months commencing in March 1956.
** ‘Suds’ Slayman played fiddle for Bill Monroe briefly during 1955, probably only limited to fill-in duties.
Robins played on Bean Blossom ’79 (MCA 3209) and back in the studio during three sessions for the Master of Bluegrass LP (MCA 5214).
He stopped playing for Bill Monroe on July 3, 1981.