The Bluegrass Ball is what The Travelin’ McCourys call their periodic tours across the US, typically with high-profile guests in tow. Material performed varies with the artists who accompany them on the road, not surprising for a band that does not include a guitarist or lead singer.
That’s because these Travelin’ McCourys consist of The Del McCoury Band, minus the Del McCoury. Everyone knows that Ronnie McCoury, Rob McCoury, Jason Carter, and Alan Bartram are among the finest bluegrass musicians on the planet, and normally when they go out they pick up a guitarist for the ride.
But for their November Bluegrass Ball guests will be Drew Emmitt and Andy Thorn, mandolinist and banjo picker respectively from Leftover Salmon. They will perform as an opening duo on the ten-day tour, and then jam with the McCourys after.
No official word yet as to who might be joining them on guitar.
Dates booked at this point include:
- Nov 11 – Englert Theatre, Iowa City, IA
- Nov 12 – The Majestic, Madison, WI
- Nov 13 – Old Rock House, St. Louis, MO
- Nov 14 – The Blue Note, Columbia, MO
- Nov 15 – City Winery, Chicago, IL
- Nov 18 – Grey Eagle Tavern, Asheville, NC
- Nov 19 – The Blind Tiger, Greensboro, NC
- Nov 20 – Charleston Pour House, Charleston, SC
- Nov 21 – Cat’s Cradle, Carrboro, NC