The 2015 California Banjo Extravaganza is set to roll across the northern sections of the Golden State later this week. Host and performer Bill Evans has brought top banjo pickers from the eastern and central portions of the country to entertain in his backyard each Fall for the past several years, and it’s that time again.
This show will incorporate a widely diverse stylistic range, reaching back a ways with stellar old time practitioner Riley Baugus and looking forward with jazz and progressive banjo wizard Ryan Cavanaugh. Those two, along with Evans, will offer concerts in four different cities this week, plus a one day mini-camp for students of the instrument on Sunday.
The live concerts will also feature a powerhouse band featuring Chad Manning, John Reischman, Jim Nunally, and Sharon Gilchrist. Bill, Riley, and Ryan will be showcased individually and jointly with the band, demonstrating their own unique approaches to the instrument.
Shows are scheduled for:
- Thursday, November 12 – The Rio Theatre for the Performing Arts; 7:30 p.m.; Santa Cruz, CA
- Friday, November 13 – The Palms Playhouse; 8:00 p.m.; Winters, CA
- Saturday, November 14 – Etz Chayim Hall; 7:30 p.m.; Palo Alto, CA
- Sunday, November 15 – Freight and Salvage Coffeehouse (mini-camp); 4:30 p.m.; Berkeley, CA
- Sunday, November 15 – Freight and Salvage Coffeehouse (concert); 8:00 p.m.; Berkeley, CA
More details about the various shows can be found online.