From October 1, 2010 through to the end of September 2011, we will, each day, celebrate the life of Bill Monroe by sharing information about him and those people who are associated with his life and music career. This information will include births and deaths; recording sessions; single, LP and CD release dates; and other interesting tidbits. Richard F. Thompson is responsible for the research and compilation of this information. We invite readers to share any tidbits, photos or memories you would like us to include.
- July 27, 1924 Lloyd Leslie George [stage name ‘Ken Marvin’] was born in Cordova, Walker County, Alabama. *
- July 27, 1963 Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys played for a second consecutive day at the Newport Folk Festival. The recorded set consisted of performances of Paddy on the Turnpike [Instrumental], Pike County Breakdown [Instrumental], Raw Hide [Instrumental], Get Up John [Instrumental], Will You Be Loving Another Man? Pretty Fair Maiden in the Garden, Salt Creek [Instrumental] and Lonesome Road Blues and a conversation between Ralph Rinzler and Bill Monroe. **
- July 27, 1967 Vic Jordan [banjo] joined the Blue Grass Boys.
- July 27, 1977 Recording session – At an evening session at Bradley’s Barn Bill Monroe recorded My Sweet Memory, She’s Young (And I’m Growing Old) and the instrumental Blue Goose. James Monroe and Wayne Lewis [guitar], Bill Holden [banjo], Randy Davis [bass] and Buddy Spicher [fiddle] assisted instrumentally, with Lewis and Davis contributing vocally. The producer was Walter Haynes. ***
- July 27, 1994 Session for Kathy Chiavola – At an ad hoc session at Bill Monroe’s home in Goodletsville Bill Monroe played mandolin and sang lead, with Kathy Chiavola singing tenor, on Stay Away From Me. ****
* Better known as the original Lonzo, of Lonzo and Oscar fame, Lloyd George was Bill Monroe’s manager in 1964.
** The band consisted of Bill Monroe [mandolin], Del McCoury [guitar], Billy Baker [fiddle], Bill Keith [banjo] and Bessie Lee Maudlin [bass].
*** All three recordings are included on the LP Bill Monroe: Bluegrass Memories (MCA 2315), which was released on October 3, 1977.
**** The duo recorded a basic track only. A band, consisting of Kathy Chiavola [guitar], Randy Howard [fiddle], Butch Robins [banjo] and Kurt Storey [bass], added further tracks. This session was thought to have taken on or about October 21, 1994.
The recording was included on the Kathy Chiavola’s second album The Harvest (My Label KCP 1002-CD), released in 1995.