Bill Evans’ rolling banjothon series, The California Banjo Extravaganza, is pushing through northern CA this weekend with four more concerts and a workshop for banjo maniacs on the west coast. Each year Bill grabs two other top names in the banjo world, generally players who don’t get out to California much, and presents concerts in his part of the world with an all-star band in tow.
For 2016, Bill has Danny Barnes and Joe Newberry on the roster, supported by John Reischman on mandolin, Jim Nunally on guitar, Chad Manning on fiddle, and Sharon Gilchrist on bass. They’ve played two shows already this week, with this weekend still to go.
The set is constructed from material each of the three banjo pickers have recorded, plus special pieces arranged for multiple fives. Anyone who loves the banjo is sure to enjoy this opportunity to see the best that modern banjo music has to offer.
Remaining shows include:
- Friday (11/11) – Kuumbwa Jazz Center, Santa Cruz
- Saturday (11/12) – Freight & Salvage afternoon banjo mini-camp, Berkeley
- Saturday (11/12) – Freight & Salvage evening concert, Berkeley
- Sunday (11/13) – Hamel Family Wines afternoon concert, Sonoma
- Sunday (11/13) – Sebastopol Community Cultural Center evening concert, Sebastopol
Get your banjo on this weekend before it’s all over!