They have released a retrospective CD/book package called Fiddlers 20 which includes transcriptions and recordings by 20 artists featured in the magazine over that same number of years. True to the Fiddler vision of showcasing the diversity of fiddle music, bluegrass and old time tunes are represented, along with jazz, swing, Cajun, and folk music styles from Cape Breton, Canada, Sweden, Mexico and Texas.
Bluegrass Today readers are likely to recognize contributors Becky Buller, Laurie Lewis, Mark O’Connor, Rayna Gellert, and Alan Jabbour. Prominent practitioners from other fiddle styles are also featured, like Michael Doucet and Buddy MacMaster. Each track is taken from recordings by the various artists.
Here’s a complete list of songs and players:
- Calvin Vollrath – Reel of the Métis
- Evan Price – Le Mouton Chanteur
- Alasdair Fraser – Rob Fraser’s Welcome to San Francisco
- Alan Jabbour – Rocky Mountain Goat
- Michael Doucet – L’amour ou la folie
- Laurie Lewis – Burley Coulter’s Song for Kate Branch
- Judy Hyman – Audubon’s Lucy
- Kevin Burke – The Doon Reel, The Reel of Mullinavat, Maud Miller
- Richard Greene – Wolves A’ Howlin’
- Mats Edén – Lisselsjövalsen
- Pete Clark – Huntly Lodge, The Marquis of Huntly’s Strathspey, Miss Hannah of Elgin, Craigellachie Lasses
- Martin Hayes & P.J. Hayes – The Golden Castle, Mickey Callaghan’s Fancy
- Dan Gellert – Old Folks, You’d Better Get to Bed
- Rayna Gellert – The Girl I Left Behind Me
- Paul Anastasio – Mi Burro Verde
- Christian Howes – Tango Doblado
- Becky Buller – Clivus Mulchum
- Buddy MacMaster – Mrs. Ferguson of Reaths, Lord Doune’s Strathspey, Pigeon on the Gate, Mrs. Johnson Pitworth
- Larry Franklin – Fiddler’s Road
- Mark O’Connor – Amazing Grace
The Fiddlers 20 package can be ordered from the Fiddler web site, for $20 of course.