Rounder Records is set to release A Bluegrass Gospel Songbook on March 1, 2011. No, it’s not an actual book, it’s a CD. The disc features 13 tracks from some of the most loved bluegrass artists of recent years.
There’s not a lot of info available at this time, but it looks like a compilation of previously released material. It will still be a valuable entry in the bluegrass gospel market, as many people interested in the genre won’t already own all these various recordings and this disc will hopefully serve as an introduction to the artists and recordings represented here.
Here’s the product description from Amazon.com, where the disc is available for pre-order now at $10.43.
This baker’s dozen of bluegrass gospel gems includes all-time classic songs such as “Wayfaring Stranger,” “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” “River Of Jordan” and “Amazing Grace,” performed by the top artists in bluegrass today, including J.D. Crowe, Tony Rice, Dailey & Vincent, Ricky Skaggs and The Grascals. The style of close harmony singing that is so essential to bluegrass came straight from the church, and the bonding of bluegrass and gospel doesn’t get much better than this!
And the Track List:
1. Crying Holy – J.D. Crowe & the New South
2. Gospel Plow – Nashville Bluegrass Band
3. Power in the Blood – Weary Hearts
4. Wayfaring Stranger – Tony Rice
5. Hewed Out of the Mountain – Phyllis Boyens
6. Garden in the Sky – James King
7. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot – IIIrd Tyme Out
8. Give Me Jesus – The Grascals
9. Model Church – Bluegrass Album Band
10. River of Jordan – Rickey Skaggs
11. Wondrous Love – Blue Highway
12. I’ll Be No Stranger – Dry Branch Fire Squad
13. Amazing Grace – Dailey & Vincent
Audio samples are available at Amazon.com as well.