3TO tour report – episode 3

Steve Dilling has agreed to share the ups and downs, in and outs of a long IIIrd Tyme Out road trip with our readers. They will be traveling from coast to coast, and back again, this first two weeks of April. Here is his third report.

The Maverick SaloonDay 6 continued on with us performing at the Maverick Saloon in Santa Ynez, CA.  I have to admit, while riding over to the venue, I found myself wondering ‚ÄòHow is this show going to go for us?’  We were in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by beautiful scenery, but not the setting for an indoor bluegrass show.  Then, out of nowhere popped up a little town.  It looked like it was right out of the old western days.  I started looking for horses and troughs!!  Then, there it was‚Ķ..the Maverick Saloon.  This place was so cool.  We loaded in, but, because we were a little late, we were unable to go through a ‚Äòsound check’ because people were already there early to get a good seat.

As time went by, this little ‚Äòwestern town’ filled up with cars parked in the parking lot, on the side of the road and just about anywhere there was a spot available.  We did 2 sets to a packed house that was very energetic and who really seemed to be into our music.  It was so much fun!  After the show, we loaded up and went back to our dear friend Joe and Darlene Quealy’s house for BBQ ribs and tri-tip.  What a feast!!  We spent the night parked in front of Joe’s house.  Thanks for everything Joe and Darlene!!

Day 7 (4-9-09) had us leaving Santa Maria, CA. around 9:00 a.m.  We made another Wal-Mart run for some supplies and then visited the local truckstop for some fuel and breakfast.  After eating, we continued north on hwy. 101 and enjoyed some of the most beautiful scenery that the U.S. has to offer!

IIIrd Tyme Out with Cusin AlOur next destination was Don Quixote’s in Felton, CA.  Our concert was tied in with the celebration of KPIG-FM radio’s own ‚ÄòCuzin’ Al’, celebrating 40 years on the air.  Cuzin’ Al has been a dear friend of ours for many years and he’s one of the best DJs you’ve ever heard.  We arrived in Felton the hard way.  I was driving the bus out of Santa Cruz, CA.  As we got out of town, we started up this mountain and, let me tell you, this was not a road intended for a 45 foot bus!

After driving about half way up, I found a wide spot and pulled over to let about 50 cars pass by and I told Russell, "You are the MAN!  YOU TAKE IT!  I’m gonna let YOU wreck YOUR bus!!"  This 6 mile stretch seemed like an eternity.  We made it on over and arrived around 2:30 p.m.  We loaded in at 4:00, got our ‚Äòsound check’, then it was time to eat some of Don Quixote’s Mexican cuisine!!  We had a great dinner and then went to work.  Showtime was 7:30.

Wayne Benson celebrates his 40th birthday on the roadThe house was packed and ready to hear some music!  We did two sets and had a wonderful time celebrating with Cuzin’ Al.  He is awesome!  We finished up around 10:30 p.m., loaded up and was back on the road around 11:15.  We drove back to Bill and Maria Nadauld’s home in Hayward.  When we arrived, we were treated to a late night dinner.  I don’t know if anyone has noticed, but we have been treated to some great meals on this trip!  This day was also Wayne’s 40th  birthday.  Maria baked him a cake, so we all had to end the night eating cake and celebrating Wayne’s birthday.

Day 8 (4-10-09) has us loading up and getting ready for a 5 hour trip to Weaverville, CA.  I will report on this trip in my next entry.  We have been gone for a week now and, outside of missing our families, it has been a wonderful trip.  We have got to see some beautiful scenery, visit with many of our friends that we don’t get to see very often and, so far, I haven’t lost any money in our ‚Äòhigh-stakes’ blackjack games!!  Talk to you again soon.

Here are a few more photos Russell sent from earlier in the week. 

bridge.jpg          gaming.jpg        freight.jpg