From October 1, 2010 through to the end of September 2011, we will, each day, celebrate the life of Bill Monroe by sharing information about him and those people who are associated with his life and music career. This information will include births and deaths; recording sessions; single, LP and CD release dates; and other interesting tidbits. Richard F. Thompson is responsible for the research and compilation of this information. We invite readers to share any tidbits, photos or memories you would like us to include.
- August 11, 1958 LP released – Bill Monroe – I Saw The Light (Decca DL 8769) *
- August 11, 1958 EP released – Precious Memories, Life’s Railway To Heaven, I’ve Found A Hiding Place and Jesus Hold My Hand.(Decca ED 2610)
- August 11, 1989 Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys made a personal appearance at The Heart of Dixie Central Alabama Bluegrass Festival, Central Alabama Music Park, Jemison, Alabama.
Bill Monroe’s first Gospel album, it was recorded over four sessions with the core personnel of Monroe [mandolin and vocals], Edd Mayfield [guitar and vocals] and Bessie Lee Mauldin [bass]. Owen Bradley played the organ on some tracks. Kenny Baker sang baritone on all the quartets, while the bass vocal duties were shared by Culley Holt and Gordon Terry.
Track listing – I Saw The Light, I’ll Meet You In The Morning, Life’s Railway To Heaven, Lord Lead Me On, Wayfaring Stranger, Beautiful Life, Precious Memories, House Of Gold, I’ve Found A Hiding Place, Jesus Hold My Hand, I Am A Pilgrim and Lord Build Me A Cabin In Glory.
A two-time Editor of British Bluegrass News, he has been seriously interested in bluegrass music since about 1970. As well as contributing to that magazine, he has, in the past 30 plus years, had articles published by Country Music World, International Country Music News, Country Music People, Bluegrass Unlimited, MoonShiner (the Japanese bluegrass music journal) and Bluegrass Europe.
He wrote the annotated series I'm On My Way Back To Old Kentucky, a daily memorial to Bill Monroe that culminated with an acknowledgement of what would have been his 100th birthday, on September 13, 2011.
Latest posts by Richard Thompson (see all)
- Foggy Mountain Troubadour out today - May 23, 2016
- Young Uns #4 – Samantha Casey - May 12, 2016
- The Story Behind the Song – The Last Suit You Wear - May 10, 2016
Category: Miscellaneous bluegrass news
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.