The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has begun its 180 day review period, during which public comment on the possible effects of the merger are sought. Even prior to this review period, however, intense lobbying against the merger has been forthcoming, particularly from Clear Channel Communications and the National Association of Broadcasters.
Since both Sirius and XM feature lively, 24/7 bluegrass programming, many of our readers have been following this issue with interest. The planned merger would not immediately involve consolidation of services, and is not possible at this time due to incompatible technology. What might develop after the merger will surely be a focus of the FCC review.
Here are a few more stories on the start of the 180 review we found online for those who want more details.
- OrbitCast: FCC starts pleading cycle for Sirius-XM merger
- Wall Street Journal: FCC Seeks Comment On Sirius-XM Merger
- Lasar’s Letter on the FCC: Clear Channel, Tennessee broadcasters lobby FCC against XM/Sirius merger
- The Street: Clock Ticks Slowly for XM, Sirius
- Petition Online: FCC: Allow Sirius-XM Merger for Consumer Benefit
Category: Bluegrass radio news
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.