From October 1, 2010 through to the end of September 2011, we will, each day, celebrate the life of Bill Monroe by sharing information about him and those people who are associated with his life and music career. This information will include births and deaths; recording sessions; single, LP and CD release dates; and other interesting tidbits. Richard F. Thompson is responsible for the research and compilation of this information. We invite readers to share any tidbits, photos or memories you would like us to include.
- October 9, 1927 – Curtis McPeake born Scotts Hill, western Tennessee, mid way between Nashville and Memphis. He worked for Bill Monroe in 1960 and 1961 and was featured on 18 recordings; those on Mr. Bluegrass (Decca DL-74080) and half of those on the Bluegrass Ramble album (Decca DL-74266).
- October 9, 1954 Single released – Kentucky Waltz/Footprints in the Snow (Columbia 52021, 45rpm) *
- October 9, 1954 Single released – Blue Moon of Kentucky/Blue Grass Special (Columbia 52022, 45rpm) *
- October 9, 1954 Single released – Mansions for Me/Mother’s Only Sleeping (Columbia 54013, 45rpm) *
* These three singles were released simultaneously on Columbia’s Hall of Fame series.
“I am proud to have been a Blue Grass Boy for a short time. I have never worked for anyone quite like Bill but I enjoyed it and always had a lot of admiration and respect for the man and his music.”