From October 1, 2010 through to the end of September 2011, we will, each day, celebrate the life of Bill Monroe by sharing information about him and those people who are associated with his life and music career. This information will include births and deaths; recording sessions; single, LP and CD release dates; and other interesting tidbits. Richard F. Thompson is responsible for the research and compilation of this information. We invite readers to share any tidbits, photos or memories you would like us to include.
- June 30, 1969 LP Released – A Voice From On High (Decca DL 5135) *
- June 30, 1984 This day was declared Bill Monroe Day in the state of Tennessee.
- June 30, 2005 Facilitated by the philanthropy of Murfreesboro businessman Robert W ‘Bob’ McLean, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum signed a confidential purchase agreement with James Monroe for his father’s mandolin. The instrument remained secured in a bank vault while Museum staff prepared exhibit space in the context of its permanent exhibition, Sing Me Back Home: A Journey through Country Music. **
- June 30, 2011 CD released – Monroe Crossing Plays the Music of Bill Monroe (MC-0611) ***
* Bill Monroe – A Voice From On High, 11 tracks
Track listing – Let The Light Shine Down On Me, Lord Protect My Soul, Wait A Little Longer Please Jesus, Voice From On High, I’m Working On A Building, Don’t Put Off Till Tomorrow, He Will Set Your Fields Afire, Go Down On Your Knees And Pray, Boat Of Love, Walking In Jerusalem Just Like John and River Of Death.
(re-issued in 1973 on MCA-131)
** Bob McLean was later found allegedly to be a fraud.
Despite this, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has continued to display the mandolin, having come to some financial agreement with McLean’s trustees after he committed suicide.
*** Monroe Crossing Plays the Music of Bill Monroe – a tribute to the Father of Bluegrass Music, 14 songs
Track listing – Blue Moon Of Kentucky, Uncle Pen, Sittin’ Alone In the Moonlight, Heavy Traffic Ahead, Old Mountaineer, Footprints In the Snow, Little Georgia Rose, Molly And Tenbrooks, McKinlay’s March/Boston Boy, Build Me A Cabin in Gloryland, Kentucky Waltz, Walls Of Time, Mule Skinner Blues and In the Pines.