I’m Going Back To Old Kentucky #108

From October 1, 2010 through to the end of September 2011, we will, each day, celebrate the life of Bill Monroe by sharing information about him and those people who are associated with his life and music career. This information will include births and deaths; recording sessions; single, LP and CD release dates; and other interesting tidbits. Richard F. Thompson is responsible for the research and compilation of this information. We invite readers to share any tidbits, photos or memories you would like us to include.

  • January 16, 1872 A Post Office was established at Pigeon Roost.  The name of the small community was changed to Rosine on June 10, 1873.  *
  • January 16, 1953 Bill Monroe was very badly injured in a horrific late night automobile crash when a drunk driver hits their car on Highway 31-W near White House, about 15 to 20 miles north of Nashville, Tennessee. He was in a body cast for 90 days recuperating from 19 broken bones.  **

* Originally called Pigeon Roost, apparently because of the hordes of pigeons that lived in cedar trees just east of the community, the town’s name was officially changed on September 15, 1873, having been re-named Rosine in recognition of the pen name used by Jenny Taylor McHenry for the book of poems called Forget Me Not. She was the wife of a prominent local lawyer and politician, Col. Henry McHenry.

From Ohio County in the Olden Days by Harrison D. Taylor, p. 34, wrote ….

“Judge John B. Wilson, of Hartford, speaking of the location of Pigeon Roost Fork of Muddy Creek, recently said: ‘The stream referred to has its source just south of Rosine Tunnel and runs parallel with the railroad until it gets to Sandifur’s Crossing, just below Horton, where it unites with Muddy Creek proper’.”

** On January 16, 1953 Monroe was critically injured in a two-car wreck. He and Blue Grass Boys bass player, Bessie Lee Mauldin, were returning home from a fox hunt north of Nashville. On highway 31-W, near White House, their car was struck by a drunken driver. Monroe, who had suffered injuries to his back, left arm and nose, was rushed to General Hospital in Nashville. It took him almost four months to recover and resume touring.

“Let him get over!” ~~ Bill Monroe, after being warned that an oncoming vehicle was drifting into his lane, subsequently causing a near-fatal accident.

Share this:

About the Author

Richard Thompson

Richard F. Thompson is a long-standing free-lance writer specialising in bluegrass music topics. A two-time Editor of British Bluegrass News, he has been seriously interested in bluegrass music since about 1970. As well as contributing to that magazine, he has, in the past 30 plus years, had articles published by Country Music World, International Country Music News, Country Music People, Bluegrass Unlimited, MoonShiner (the Japanese bluegrass music journal) and Bluegrass Europe. He wrote the annotated series I'm On My Way Back To Old Kentucky, a daily memorial to Bill Monroe that culminated with an acknowledgement of what would have been his 100th birthday, on September 13, 2011.