Showcase artists are selected in a competitive process each year for the chance to perform during the IBMA’s Bluegrass Ramble in Raleigh. Each selected act will have the opportunity to show their stuff at least twice during the 3-day World of Bluegrass before the assembled membership of the organization, which includes powerful decision makers within the music industry who can have a big impact on an artist’s career.
These showcase acts will have one opportunity to perform during primary events at the Raleigh Convention Center, and another at one of five music clubs in downtown Raleigh who participate in the Bluegrass Ramble. Event Producers get to see them in both a large and small stage setting during their time in Raleigh.
On the list you’ll see bands that represent the wide variety within the wider bluegrass market – those who hew closely to the traditions of bluegrass and old time music, others that are pushing hard against the boundaries, and still others who fit right in the mainstream of contemporary acoustic string music. Selection criteria task the Bluegrass Ramble committee with choosing artists that are new and significant, and/or have had material recent success suggesting that they are ready to make a move to the next level.
The following artists have been invited to showcase this year:
- Aaron Burdett – Saluda, NC
- Alex Leach – Jacksboro, TN
- Andrew Collins Trio – Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Ben Hunter & Joe Seamons – Seattle, WA
- Blue Canyon Boys – Denver, CO
- Blue Summit – Santa Cruz, CA
- ClayBank – West Jefferson, NC
- Damn Tall Buildings – Brooklyn, NY
- Evie Ladin Band – Oakland, CA
- George Jackson Band – Nashville, TN
- Henhouse Prowlers – Chicago, IL
- Hoot and Holler – Asheville, NC
- Jaelee Roberts – Murfreesboro, TN
- Jeff Parker & Company– Berea, KY
- Meadow Mountain – Denver, CO
- Mile Twelve – Boston, MA
- Nick Chandler and Delivered – Asheville, NC
- Rapidgrass – Golden, CO
- Rod McCormack – Terrigal, New South Wales, Australia
- Slocan Ramblers – Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Songs From The Road Band– Asheville, NC
- Tellico – Asheville, NC
- The Dead South – Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
- The Gina Furtado Project – Winchester, VA
- The Price Sisters – Sardis, OH
- Trout Steak Revival – Denver, CO
- Troy Engle & Southern Skies – Glen Rock, PA
- Twisted Pine – Boston, MA
- US Navy Band Country Current Bluegrass Ensemble – Washington, DC
- Zoe & Cloyd – Asheville, NC
Daytime activities at the main convention site are restricted to registered World of Bluegrass attendees, but the shows at the downtown clubs are open to anyone. A $60 wristband gets you in to any of the music venues associated with World of Bluegrass, or $30 for a single day pass.
Evening concerts are held at the following locations:
- The Architect Bar & Social House
- Lincoln Theatre
- Pour House Music Hall
- Vintage Church
- Raleigh Convention Center
More details about World of Bluegrass and The Bluegrass Ramble can be found online. Tickets for all IBMA week events, including the International Bluegrass Music Awards show and the weekend Wide Open Bluegrass festival are on sale now.
Events run from September 24-28 in Raleigh, NC.