Randy Kohrs was among the artists who generously donated their time this past weekend to perform at the Musicians Against Childhood Cancer festival near Columbus, OH. Proceeds from this annual event benefit the St. Judes Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, and dozens of bluegrass artists appear each year, receiving only expenses as a fee.
On Saturday night (7/25), after performing on the show, the band headed for the Sleep Inn in nearby Obetz, OH. Dog-tired and only expecting to sleep for a few hours, they chose not to unload the van before heading in for some rest, as was their common practice. Sometime between 3:30 and 5:00 a.m., thieves broke into their travel van and stole almost everything inside.
Ashley Brown, fiddler and media liaison for The Randy Kohrs Band, tells us that the total value of the gear taken has been estimated at over $50,000.
“This hotel is one that the artists are put up in for the festival and the parking lot was full of band vans and trailers, many containing musical gear. Ours was the only one broken into, though a construction company’s work truck parked next to us was also hit. The Obetz police were called and a detective processed the van. Because it was such a high dollar amount, it’s considered grand theft. Unfortunately, there were no security cameras at the hotel.”
Ashley provided a list of the instruments and equipment stolen from their vehicle:
- Scheerhorn L-Body Resonator guitar #547
- Amistar Randy Kohrs Model tri-cone resonator
- Meredith all blonde, tongue-oiled maple resonator guitar
- Mike Long D-18 style acoustic guitar
- Custom Cedar Creek Case for the Meredith ‚Äì black alligator, inside is purple, has “Custom Built for Randy Kohrs” plate
- Two white Calton Cases with Randy’s name on them, both had red interiors
- Cedar Creek case for the acoustic Mike Long Guitar
- Forrest Craig (Texas-based luthier) Violin with L.R. Baggs pickup
- Strad copy violin, roughly 1880’s, the tag inside not exactly accurate
- A double violin case, the attached strap doesn’t match ‚Äì it’s maroon and gray with gold hardware.
- Upright acoustic King Bass, white with black trim, red tailpiece, rare
- 2 Warwick 2 10″ speaker cabinets
- Silver waterproof helicopter case with cables and a Shure wireless system
- 3 Stage Ninja brand quarter inch cables
- Fishman Dreadnought Aura, Fishman resophonic Aura, Fishman Reverb, Fishman Chorus, Fishman Delay, Boosta Grande Boost pedal, 2 Radial DI’s, Radial Tone Bone Pre-Amp, Hilton Optical volume pedal, 2 Peterson Strobe Stomp Tuners (one had Ashley B. written on the front of it in black marker)
- George Lawrence cables Tool Kit with extra cords and assorted tools
- All guitars have Fishman pick-ups installed
Photos of many of these instruments can be seen on the Randy Kohrs web site, and Ted Lehmann, who was at the MACC shooting photos of the show, also posted a few shots on his site.
Anyone with information about any of this stolen equipment is urged to contact Ashley Brown by email, or to call the Obetz Police Department at 614-491-3211.