With first round ballots out for the 2014 International Bluegrass Music Awards, the IBMA is also starting work on the Special Awards it bestows. These are selected not by the voting membership at large, but by special committees of bluegrass insiders with particular knowledge and experience in the various categories.
Among these are the Momentum Awards, designated to recognize young artists and industry professionals, or anyone just getting started in a bluegrass career. This includes singers, pickers, events, mentors, and anyone involved in the business of bluegrass music.
Given that many of the potential recipients of an award like this may be flying somewhat under the radar, the IBMA is seeking input from bluegrass lovers around the world as to who you may think is deserving of such recognition. A form has been set up on the IBMA web site to submit possible nominees.
The official categories are:
- One up-and-coming professional
- One new festival or venue
- One established musician or professional providing exceptional mentoring
- Three instrumentalists (traditional or non-traditional bluegrass instruments)
- One vocalist
- One band
A similar process is in place to suggest candidates for the Special IBMA Awards, offered to professionals in the following categories:
- Bluegrass Print/Media Person of the Year
- Bluegrass Event of the Year
- Bluegrass Broadcaster of the Year
- Bluegrass Songwriter of the Year
- Best Graphic Design for Recorded Project
- Best Liner Notes for Recorded Project
To suggest possible candidates for the Special Awards, simply send an email to Taylor Coughlin at email@example.com.
You need not be a member of the IBMA, nor even a musician, to make a suggestion. If you love bluegrass, your input is requested. All input will be considered by the selection comittees.
Possible candidates can be submitted through June 27 for the Momentum Awards, and through June 30 for Special Awards.
A list of all prior IBMA Award recipients can be viewed online.