Bluegrass Underground, the popular concert series held in a cavern more than 300 feet underground, has announced the dates for their 2016 radio and television tapings.
Concerts are held in Cumberland Caverns, located outside McMinnville, TN about 80 miles southeast of Nashville, roughly once a month from February through November. The primary monthly shows are recorded for radio broadcast, with a special festival-like, 3-day concert event in April which is taped for PBS television.
Bluegrass purists will note that the show’s producers have strayed a bit from the bluegrass nature of the program, including more Americana acts amidst the grass. But they still stick pretty close to their roots for the radio shows – it’s the TV episodes that feature more mainstream acts.
Here’s the schedule released today, though more shows may be added.
- February 13, 2016 – Darin & Brooke Aldridge and Joe Mullins & the Radio Ramblers
- March 19, 2016 – The Nashville Celts
- March 26, 2016 – Chuck Mead with his Grassy Knoll Boys and The Howlin’ Brothers
- April 1-3, 2016 – PBS taping, artists TBA
- Apr 16, 2016 – Becky Buller Band and Off the Wagon
- April 30, 2016 – Hayseed Dixie
- May 21, 2016 – Helen Highwater String Band and The Ransom Notes
- June 11, 2016 – Danny Paisley & The Southern Grass and Cabinet
- July 8, 2016 – The Boxcars and Molly Tuttle
- August 20, 2016 – The Hillbenders perform Tommy
- September 10, 2016 – Chris Henry & Hardcore Grass and Wood & Wire
- October 15, 2016 – Flatt Lonesome and Songs of the Fall
- November 12, 2016 – The Grascals and Hogslop String Band
All shows begin at 1:00 p.m.
Tickets for these shows can be purchased online, along with tickets for the two remaining Bluegrass Underground concerts in 2015. The PBS taping shows in April are sold in a separate package, and generally sell out within an hour, but those who have purchased tickets for the other shows get an opportunity for advance ticketing.