The nominees for the 58th Annual Grammy Awards have been announced, covering nearly every imaginable genre and type of recorded music. Awards will be handed out on February 15, 2016 on CBS Television.
While the mainstream media is abuzz with news about Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran, we all know that the really big news is to be found in category #48, Best Bluegrass Album.
And the 2016 nominees are:
- Pocket Full Of Keys – Dale Ann Bradley, Pinecastle Records
- Before The Sun Goes Down – Rob Ickes & Trey Hensley, Compass Records Group
- In Session – Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, Mountain Home Music Company
- Man Of Constant Sorrow – Ralph Stanley & Friends, Red River Entertainment
- The Muscle Shoals Recordings – The Steeldrivers, Rounder
These are all strong and worthy releases. Best of luck to all of them.
A few other notable nomination notes:
Chris Stapleton, formerly the lead singer and primary songwriter with The Steeldrivers, is nominated for the coveted Album of the Year award for his Traveller record. It’s not a bluegrass project by any means, but Chris has many fans in the bluegrass community. He is also nominated for Best Country Solo Performance, Best Country Song, and Best Country Performance.
Norman Blake, Béla Fleck & Abigail Washburn, and Rhiannon Giddens are nominated for Best Folk Album, and Béla and Abby also received a nod in Best American Roots Performance for And Am I Born To Die.
Punch Brothers received a nomination in Best American Roots Song for Julep from their Phosphorescent Blues album, which was also nominated for Best Americana Album.
Congratulations one and all. A complete list of nominees can be found online.