The winners of the 1st Annual Bluegrass Music Association of Iowa Awards were announced during an awards show in Moravia, Iowa on Sunday October 30, 2016. Awards were distributed as the closing event at the Association’s 7th Annual Honey Creek Resort Festival.
And the winners are:
- Guitar Player of the Year – Joe King
- Mandolin Player of the Year – John Purk
- Banjo Player of the Year – Darin Manson
- Bass Player of the Year – Lori King
- Fiddle Player of the Year – Trustin Baker
- Dobro Player of the Year – Larita Martin
- Band of the Year – Lori King & Junction 63
- Female Vocalist of the Year – Lori King
- Male Vocalist of the Year – Edgar Loudermilk
- Instrumental Band of the Year – Bluegrass Martins
- Songwriter of the Year – Joe King
- Album of the Year – Drifter by Volume Five
- Band of the Year (Overall) – Lori King & Junction 63
- Entertainers of the Year – Roe Family Singers
BMAI also paid homage to co-founder Uncle Billy Dunbar by honoring him with the Director’s Special Award for his long career of service to the organization and bluegrass lovers in the state. Director’s Choice Awards were given to BMAI Assistant Executive Director, Brenda Smith, for her commitments of time, and to member David Krug for his outstanding service as a volunteer and financial contributor to the Association.
Well done, BMAI, for a successful initial awards show!