The 20 song anthology embraces some of the classic songs in bluegrass music from some of the great acts in the business (track listing below).
So many of the songs here are inextricably linked with the Rebel catalogue; Bringing Mary Home, Fox On The Run and Atlanta Is Burning being three notable examples. These are signature songs as is Love Of The Mountains. There are the tour de force pieces like Rice’s Nine Pound Hammer and JD Crowe’s Train 45 also.
Most of the material is direct from the Rebel vaults, whereas some came to them indirectly, such as – and I speculate here – the Lilly Brothers track, which was originally recorded for Event Records in 1956 or 1957 and later appeared on a County LP. It was subsequently reissued on a Rebel CD (1688). Others in this category are Little Rosewood Casket – Don Reno & Red Smiley (from a Wango LP), Footprints In The Snow – Mac Wiseman (Vetco material, perhaps), Poor Ellen Smith – Ted Lundy & the Southern Mountain Boys (County), Pig In A Pen – Stanley Brothers (Wango) and Lonesome Road Blues – Larry Richardson & Happy Smith (County).
There’s lots of fine traditional material here, which is typical of this series, and which, apparently, has been doing very well for Rebel. Judging by the titles and the artists listed, the potential for this set to match its predecessors is great.
For those who have a long-time interest in bluegrass music the songs and the respective bands speak for themselves; for newcomers this album is a good place to start investigating the Rebel catalogue.
Thanks must be made to Gary Reid for sharing his thoughts on some aspects of this collection.
Complete track list…
- Nine Pound Hammer – Tony Rice
- John Henry – Lilly Brothers & Don Stover
- Bringing Mary Home – Country Gentlemen
- Wabash Cannonball – Claire Lynch
- Whitehouse Blues – Del McCoury
- Footprints In The Snow – Mac Wiseman
- Atlanta Is Burning – Boys From Indiana
- Fireball Mail – Lonesome River Band
- Fox On The Run – Emerson & Waldron
- Poor Ellen Smith – Ted Lundy & the Southern Mountain Boys
- Love Of The Mountains – Lost & Found
- Darling Corey – Seldom Scene
- Little Glass Of Wine – Ralph Stanley
- Train 45 – J.D. Crowe
- Little Rosewood Casket – Don Reno & Red Smiley
- Pig In A Pen – Stanley Brothers
- Dream Of A Miner’s Child – Whitley & Skaggs
- Down In The Willow Garden – Dave Evans
- Roving Gambler – Larry Sparks
- Lonesome Road Blues – Larry Richardson & Happy Smith
A two-time Editor of British Bluegrass News, he has been seriously interested in bluegrass music since about 1970. As well as contributing to that magazine, he has, in the past 30 plus years, had articles published by Country Music World, International Country Music News, Country Music People, Bluegrass Unlimited, MoonShiner (the Japanese bluegrass music journal) and Bluegrass Europe.
He wrote the annotated series I'm On My Way Back To Old Kentucky, a daily memorial to Bill Monroe that culminated with an acknowledgement of what would have been his 100th birthday, on September 13, 2011.
Latest posts by Richard Thompson (see all)
- Foggy Mountain Troubadour out today - May 23, 2016
- Young Uns #4 – Samantha Casey - May 12, 2016
- The Story Behind the Song – The Last Suit You Wear - May 10, 2016
Category: Bluegrass recording news
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.