This past weekend the Northern California Bluegrass Awards were held in Redwood City, CA. These honors are distributed annually by the Northern California Bluegrass Society during their Bluegrass On Broadway festival.
Bluegrass traditionalists Bean Creek were the big winners, taking the Best Bluegrass Band award, with their lead singer, banjo player and mandolin player receiving prizes as well.
A full winners list follows:
- Best Bluegrass Band – Bean Creek
- Best Male Vocalist – Billy Pitrone
- Best Female Vocalist – A.J. Lee
- Best Banjo Player – Pete Hicks
- Best Mandolin Player – Rob Horgan
- Best Guitar Player – Glen Dauphin
- Best Bass Player – Lisa Burns
- Best Dobro Player – Kathy Barwick
Lifetime Achievement Awards were also given to four music teachers for their many years of service to the bluegrass community:
- Bill Evans
- Jack Tuttle
- Steve Palazzo
- Lee Ann Welch
Congratulations all around!
Category: Bluegrass Asociations News
About the Author (Author Profile)
John had served as primary author and editor for The Bluegrass Blog from its launch in 2006 until being folded into Bluegrass Today in September of 2011. He continues in that capacity here, managing a strong team of columnists and correspondents.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.