As Peter Rowan prepares to tour Europe, he is in the Compass Records’ studio recording his second album for the label.
Along with his current band, Keith Little (banjo), Paul Knight (bass) and Mike Witcher (resonator guitar), Rowan has been joined by the Travelin’ McCourys, a band that he has played with frequently in the past year; and, during other sessions, Chris Henry (mandolin), Bryan Sutton (guitar) and Michael Cleveland (fiddle). Rowan plays guitar and sings on all tracks.
A highlight so far has been Bobby Osborne and Jesse McReynolds singing two new Rowan originals My Savior is Calling Me and Mountain Man’s Dream.
Other new songs in the can are Ragged Old Dream, Stealing My Time, (co-written with John Norman), Keeping It between the Lines (Old School), That’s All She Wrote, Drop the Bone, (with David Gans) and It’s a Doc Watson D-18 Guitar Pickin Kind of a Day (with Jerry Faires).
Hopefully, Del McCoury will be able to join Rowan in the studio in the coming months.
The as-yet untitled CD is scheduled for a spring 2013 release.
Dates are as follows …
Peter Rowan with Red Wine
- Wednesday, November 14th – La Maison Musique, Turin (Torino), Italy (NB this is an amended date)
- Friday, November 16th – Bluegrass Party, Teatro Modena, Genoa (Genova), Italy
- Saturday, November 17th – Auditorium, La Roche-sur-Foron, Haute Savoie, France
- Sunday, November 18th – Teatro Amigdala, Trezzo d’Adda, near Milan (Milano), Italy
Peter Rowan with Druha Trava
- Wednesday, November 21st – Nachod, Divadlo dr. Josefa Cizka, Czech Republic
- Thursday, November 22nd – Brno, Delnicky dum Lisen, Czech Republic
- Friday, November 23rd – Hranice na Morave, Divadlo Stara Strelnice, Czech Republic
- Saturday, November 24th – Nove Mesto na Morave, kulturni dum, Czech Republic
- Sunday, November 25th – Prague, KC Novodvorská, Czech Republic
Rowan’s manager, Al Evers, shared some further details about the tracks already completed for the new album. Peter plays guitar and sings on all of them.
- A Mountain’s Mans Dream – Peter Rowan
Jesse McReynolds – mandolin; Jason Carter – fiddle; Paul Knight – bass; Keith Little – banjo; Mike Witcher – dobro; (harmony Jason Carter, Chris Henry)
- Ragged Old Dream – Peter Rowan
Chris Henry -mandolin; Jason Carter – fiddle; Mike Witcher – dobro; Paul Knight – bass; Keith Little- banjo
- Stealing My Time -Peter Rowan- Peter Rowan/John Norman
Keith Little-guitar, Paul Knight-bass, Mike Witcher-dobro, Jason Carter-fiddle
- Keeping It between the Lines (Old School)
Ronnie McCoury – mandolin; Michael Cleveland – fiddle; Robbie McCoury – five string banjo; Alan Bartram- bass
- Drop the Bone – Peter Rowan/David Gans
Ronnie McCoury – mandolin; Michael Cleveland -fiddle; Robbie McCoury – five string banjo; Alan Bartram – bass
- That’s All She Wrote
Ronnie McCoury – mandolin; Michael Cleveland – fiddle; Robbie McCoury – five string banjo; Alan Bartram – bass
- It’s a Doc Watson D-18 Guitar Pickin Kind of a Day – PeterRowan/Jerry Faires
Bryan Sutton-guitar (and more but Peter couldn’t remember)
- My Savior is Calling Me- Peter Rowan
Bobby Osborne- mandolin, vocals, Jesse McReynolds- mandolin, vocals, Jason Carter vocals
A two-time Editor of British Bluegrass News, he has been seriously interested in bluegrass music since about 1970. As well as contributing to that magazine, he has, in the past 30 plus years, had articles published by Country Music World, International Country Music News, Country Music People, Bluegrass Unlimited, MoonShiner (the Japanese bluegrass music journal) and Bluegrass Europe.
He wrote the annotated series I'm On My Way Back To Old Kentucky, a daily memorial to Bill Monroe that culminated with an acknowledgement of what would have been his 100th birthday, on September 13, 2011.
Latest posts by Richard Thompson (see all)
- On This Day #34 – Bass Mountain Boys - August 18, 2014
- The Patuxent Banjo Project - August 14, 2014
- The Story behind the Song – Just to Hear the Whistle Blow - August 12, 2014
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.