The film follows Texas teen Lucas White in his bluegrass adventure from a novice picker to taking the stage at a major festival over the course of three years. Interspersed with his story are interviews with a number of celebrity grassers; Rhonda Vincent, Claire Lynch, Dan Tyminski, J.D. Crowe and others make an appearance in the film.
In June, the 20-minute film was screened at the Film Festival of Colorado, where it won first place in the Best Documentary Music/Culture category. Congratulations to producer Alan Tompkins and videographer David Seay.
Fanning The Fire will also be screened at these festivals in 2011:
- Hardacre Film Festival (Tipton, IA – Aug. 5-6)
- Grand Rapids Film Festival (Grand Rapids, MI – Aug. 11-13)
- Rome International Film Festival (Rome, GA – Sept. 9-10)
- Texas International Film Festival (Dallas, TX – Oct. 1)
An extended edit running over an hour is now available on DVD. It includes the 20 minute short, as well as full length interviews and bonus features. These can be ordered from the Bluegrass Heritage Foundation web site.
Funding for the production of Fanning The Fire was also provided by the Foundation For Bluegrass Music.
Latest posts by John Lawless (see all)
- Delmore Brothers at IBMM - May 28, 2015
- Ash Breeze wins 2015 KSMU Youth in Bluegrass Band Contest - May 27, 2015
- KCTM bluegrass band bound for China - May 27, 2015
Category: Bluegrass film/movie news
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.