The bluegrass world has been abuzz since it was announced that a biopic is going to be made about the life of Bill Monroe. Movies about music stars’ lives have proved very successful, and I hope Bill’s will follow in the same fashion. In the same vein as Coal Miner’s Daughter, Walk The Line, and Ray!, Blue Moon of Kentucky should make any bluegrass fan jump for joy!
Production dates have been shuffled around for the past year, but it seems that things are finally back on track. The film is based on Richard Smith’s best-selling biography on Monroe, Can’t You Hear Me Calling. Writer/director Finn Taylor and Academy Award winner, Callie Khouri (Thelma and Louise) co-wrote the screenplay. With an all-star cast, this is one I can’t wait to see.
The updated cast is as follows:
- Bill Monroe – Michael Shannon (Take Shelter, Vanilla Sky, Pearl Harbor)
- Bessie Lee Maudlin – Olivia Wilde (TRON: Legacy, House, Cowboys & Aliens)
- Lester Flatt – Tim Blake Nelson (O Brother, The Incredible Hulk, Holes)
- Earl Scruggs – Ed Helms (The Office, The Hangover, The Lorax)
- Charlie Monroe – John C. Reilly (Step Brothers, The Aviator, Gangs Of New York)
- Uncle Pen – Sam Shepherd (The Notebook, The Right Stuff, Black Hawk Down)
- Carolyn Monroe – Ashley Judd (Heat, Double Jeopardy, High Crimes)
What is just as exciting as a movie about Bill Monroe is the SOUNDTRACK to a movie about Bill Monroe! Produced by Ronnie McCoury and T Bone Burnett, the soundtrack to Blue Moon Of Kentucky features the cream of the crop from all styles of American music:
A two and a half minute teaser for the film has been released, which features what is said to be the closing credits. Enjoy!
Category: Bluegrass film/movie news
Sites That Link to this Post
- FLIK network » Bill Monroe Biopic Coming Soon | April 10, 2012
About the Author (Author Profile)
Daniel is from southwestern Ohio and has been around bluegrass his entire life. He manages the Classic Country Connection, a music store in southern Ohio which specializes in bluegrass, classic country, and gospel music. He is the host of the Bending The Strings radio program, which plays a variety of bluegrass, newgrass, and Americana music. He also maintains the website for Joe Mullins and the Radio Ramblers.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.