The bluegrass world has been abuzz since it was announced that a biopic is going to be made about the life of Bill Monroe. Movies about music stars’ lives have proved very successful, and I hope Bill’s will follow in the same fashion. In the same vein as Coal Miner’s Daughter, Walk The Line, and Ray!, Blue Moon of Kentucky should make any bluegrass fan jump for joy!
Production dates have been shuffled around for the past year, but it seems that things are finally back on track. The film is based on Richard Smith’s best-selling biography on Monroe, Can’t You Hear Me Calling. Writer/director Finn Taylor and Academy Award winner, Callie Khouri (Thelma and Louise) co-wrote the screenplay. With an all-star cast, this is one I can’t wait to see.
The updated cast is as follows:
- Bill Monroe – Michael Shannon (Take Shelter, Vanilla Sky, Pearl Harbor)
- Bessie Lee Maudlin – Olivia Wilde (TRON: Legacy, House, Cowboys & Aliens)
- Lester Flatt – Tim Blake Nelson (O Brother, The Incredible Hulk, Holes)
- Earl Scruggs – Ed Helms (The Office, The Hangover, The Lorax)
- Charlie Monroe – John C. Reilly (Step Brothers, The Aviator, Gangs Of New York)
- Uncle Pen – Sam Shepherd (The Notebook, The Right Stuff, Black Hawk Down)
- Carolyn Monroe – Ashley Judd (Heat, Double Jeopardy, High Crimes)
What is just as exciting as a movie about Bill Monroe is the SOUNDTRACK to a movie about Bill Monroe! Produced by Ronnie McCoury and T Bone Burnett, the soundtrack to Blue Moon Of Kentucky features the cream of the crop from all styles of American music:
A two and a half minute teaser for the film has been released, which features what is said to be the closing credits. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Daniel Mullins (see all)
- Sarah Harris talks Trinity River Band - October 20, 2014
- The Darrell Brothers at IBMA - October 9, 2014
- Flatt Lonesome – 2014 Emerging Artists of the Year - October 5, 2014
Category: Bluegrass film/movie news
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.