Winners have been announced from the prestigious instrumental championships at the 42nd Annual Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Kansas. Trophies and new instruments are offered annually for fiddle, mandolin, dulcimer, and autoharp, but the pièce de résistance is the guitar championship where “winning Winfield” puts a guitar slinger on the map.
Below is a list of 2013 winners, along with their home town and the prize they selected.
2013 National Flat Pick Guitar Championships
- 1st – Allen Shadd, Lake Wylie, SC; Collings Winfield Model Mahogany/Adirondack Spruce
- 2nd – Steve Kaufman, Alcoa, TN; Martin D-28 Marquis Guitar
- 3rd - Matt Lindsey, Dunbar, WV; Gallagher 72 Special
2013 National Bluegrass Banjo Championships
- 1st - William Cockman, Sherrills Ford, NC; Ome Southern Cross HG50
- 2nd - Sonny Smith, New Market, TN; Gold Plated Deering Deluxe
- 3rd - Kyle Tuttle, Nashville, TN; Deering Eagle II
2013 Walnut Valley Old Time Fiddle Championships
- 1st – Katie Glassman, Denver, CO; Gliga Professional Gama Fiddle
- 2nd - Roger Netherton, St Louis, MO; Mark Wilcox Stradivari patterned Violin
- 3rd - Kian Dye, Portland, OR; Akos Balazs Fiddle
2013 National Mandolin Championships
- 1st – Andy Hatfield, Peoria, IL; Collings MF5 Custom Mandolin
- 2nd - Gordon Neidinger, Pittsburg, PA; Clark F5 Mandolin
- 3rd - J P Shafer, Woodyway, TX; Weber Yellowstone “F” Mandolin
2013 International Autoharp Contest
- 1st – JoAnn Smith, Bartlesville, OK; dAigle Cascade Super Single Key D Autoharp
- 2nd - Cindy Harris, Pittsburgh, PA; Evoharp Legacy 21
- 3rd - Doug Pratt, Cary, NC; Oscar Schmidt OS21C
2013 International Finger Style Guitar Championships
- 1st – Mark Cruz, Austin, TX; Larrivee LV10E Deluxe
- 2nd – Roger Hardin, Murfreesboro, TN; Taylor 518e Grand Orchestra
- 3rd - Shohei Toyoda, Japan; Triggs Flattop Acoustic
2013 National Mountain Dulcimer Championships
- 1st – Jeff Hames, Madison, MS; 4FHKK Custom Mountain Dulcimer
- 2nd – Nathaniel Samsel, Clarksville, GA; 6FHCRB Custom Mountain Dulcimer
- 3rd - Johathan Dowell, Los Alamos, NM; 4FGCS Mountain dulcimer
2013 National Hammer Dulcimer Championships
- 1st - Katie Moritz, Sugar Grove, IL; Master Works Russell Cook Edition Extended Range
- 2nd - Tina Gugeler, Erie, CO; Cloud Nine Model 17/16/8
- 3rd - Nate Pultorak, Joliet, IL; Huddelson UL400C Chromatic
Congratulations to all the winners.
Category: Bluegrass festival/concert news
About the Author (Author Profile)
John had served as primary author and editor for The Bluegrass Blog from its launch in 2006 until being folded into Bluegrass Today in September of 2011. He continues in that capacity here, managing a strong team of columnists and correspondents.
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.