Last night (2/8) saw the 2010 awards from the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music in America (SPBGMA) handed out in Nashville. Unfortunately, the awards show was in competition with the Super Bowl broadcast, and a large political event in town, both of which sucked up all the media coverage that might have gone to this function.
SPBGMA is notoriously slow in sending out information on their awards show, and we have been struggling this morning to get official results. Perhaps the best bet is to pass along what we have been able to find out, with periodic updates throughout the day.
SPBGMA hands out these awards to instrumentalists, vocalists, bands, writers, festivals and radio hosts with many of the awards segmented into traditional and contemporary categories.
- Contemporary female vocalist: Rhonda Vincent
- Traditional female vocalist: Alecia Nugent
- Traditional male vocalist: James King
- Contemporary male vocalist: Jamie Daley
- Entertaining group: Nothin’ Fancy
- Gospel group contemporary: Dailey & Vincent
- Gospel group traditional: Paul William & Victory Trio
- Instrumental group: The Bluegrass Brothers
- Vocal group: Dailey & Vincent
- Entertainer: Rhonda Vincent
- Group: Grascals
- Banjo player: Aaron McDaris
- Mandolin player: Alan Bibey
- Fiddle player: Hunter Berry
- Guitar player: Josh Williams
- Dobro player: Tim Graves
- Bass player: Darin Vincent
- Album: Blue Side Of The Blue Ridge, Junior Sisk & Rambler’s Choice
- Song: Amanda Lynn, Lou Reid & Carolina
- Songwriter: Tom T. & Dixie Hall
- Radio station: WDVX
- Radio host: Brenda Lawson
- Festival promoter: Bertie Sullivan
Congratulations to all the winners! More details as we find them…
UPDATE 2/9: We have gotten the list of winners from SPBGMA, along with a mea culpa and plea for patience from Suzanne Elmore. They have been hit by the same winter weather that has paralyzed much of the east coast of the USA.
“I am so sorry the speed of delivery of the results has been slow. I have definitely heard about it. We are a volunteer organization, with a volunteer webmaster with no power and 8 inches of snow.
Forgive us, we are not instantaneously electronic. I am working with all sincerity to get these posted.”
All winners are now listed above. Results of the band contest are:
Latest posts by John Lawless (see all)
- It’s All in the Family – sibling rivalry in bluegrass - November 27, 2014
- All About That Brooke - November 26, 2014
- Bluegrass Mass broadcasts on Thanksgiving Day - November 26, 2014
Category: Bluegrass Asociations News
If you enjoyed this article, subscribe to receive more just like it.